What is Good Mileage On a Used Car?
When shopping for a pre-owned Mercedes-Benz, or another make and model, you want to examine the vehicle’s physical and mechanical condition, but you won’t want to stop there. You’ll also want to consider the vehicle’s mileage. You may be wondering, “Is it wise to buy a car with high mileage?” While common knowledge used to be to avoid a car with over 100,000 miles, that isn’t necessarily a hard and fast rule anymore. Learn more about how mileage, condition, location, and usage should all be weighed when shopping for a used car in this guide from Mercedes-Benz of Centerville.
The Smart Way to Shop for a Used Car
Along with mileage, there are some other factors to take into account when picking your next new-to-you vehicle:
- Usage – Not all miles are created equal. A car driven 75,000 miles in stop and go traffic will experience more wear than one that has racked up 75,000 miles while hitting the highway. Ask about the previous owner’s driving history before you make a purchase.
- Location – Vehicles that have been driven in a warm and dry climate undergo less stress than vehicles that have been primarily driven in a cold, wet climate.
- Condition – Along with performing your own once-over, you’ll want to get a certified mechanic to do a more in-depth analysis to look for any mechanical issues, signs of wear, or rust. Make sure to take into account any repairs needed when looking at the purchase price.
- Maintenance – If a vehicle has been well-maintained, it’s far more likely to last longer. If the service history shows sporadic care, that could be a sign of more expensive issues to come.
Mileage vs. Age
A newer car with high mileage may well be a better choice than a low-mileage older car. You will need to consider all of these circumstances before making a decision:
- A car that hasn’t been driven close to the average miles per year will experience its own set of mechanical issues or problems with rubber seals and gaskets.
- A vehicle with a well-documented maintenance history is preferable to one that has been neglected.
- A lower mileage vehicle can cost more.
If you’re looking for an affordable luxury vehicle in like-new condition, a Certified Pre-Owned Mercedes-Benz from Mercedes-Benz of Centerville may be your best option.
Find Used Cars Near Oakwood Today
If you’re looking for a pre-owned vehicle, Mercedes-Benz of Centerville offers a selection of Mercedes-Benz models to models priced under $10k. Feel free to visit our Centerville dealership to compare our CPO vs. used models, or contact us to learn more!
More from Mercedes-Benz of Centerville
If you’re in the market for a luxurious new SUV, take a good look at the 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE. It’s style and grace is evenly matched with power and performance. Mercedes-Benz of Centerville is impressed with the 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE, but don’t take our word for it. Read the Mercedes-Benz GLE reviews from industry critics here, and…
One of a growing collection of reasonably-priced compact vehicles from the luxury automaker, the new Mercedes-Benz GLB crossover offers the functionality and affordable price Centerville drivers are looking for. Compared to the sportier GLA, the smaller GLB is a more family-oriented SUV, and its reasonable starting MSRP makes it a terrific value. Critics like Autoblog.com…
Blending serious style with impressive performance, the Mercedes-Benz C-Class sedan has long been a favorite with savvy Kettering drivers – and the latest model is better than ever. From its sleek and sophisticated exterior to its technology-packed cabin, the Mercedes-Benz C-Class specs showcase the very best of the modern luxury vehicle. So whether you want…
Drivers from Kettering to Springboro visit Mercedes-Benz of Centerville every day in search of the Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan — and it’s not hard to see why. This luxury sedan has impressive style and a powerhouse performance, but the C-Class interior just might be our favorite feature on the latest model. From upscale materials to state-of-the-art technology, the Mercedes-Benz…